Sunday 4 May 2014

Fondant rose tutorial



Making fondant roses is super easy. There is a few things you'll need to make perfect ones......

Fondant (obvs)

And this tool:


You can get them from eBay for a couple of pounds, they generally come in a couple of sizes but I generally like smaller roses to work with so I use my smaller cutter.

Start by rolling your fondant out and using your cutter to cut out a flower shape.


You can actually use these as cake decorations as they are like on these cupcakes..

 
Or you can use them to make fondant roses super quick and easy!



Take some more fondant and roll it into a little ball.


Then roll it into a sausage shape.


Flatten it slightly with your fingers. It's always best to use some corn flour when handling fondant because otherwise it can get really sticky... But don't use too much or touch it for too long or it will dry out quickly as well.


Completely flatten one side of the fondant sausage with your fingers, leaving one side at a reasonable thickness. This is the middle part of your rose.


Start curling the fondant up, as if your rolling it against itself with the flatter side on top.


You should now have a small rose that looks like this.. I also use these for small flower buds.


Next, start taking each petal from the flower and stick it on either using a little bit of pressure or some warm water.


And that's a small rose done! If you don't have a petal cutter you can always do it by hand however obviously these aren't as neat and take longer. I spent a long time doing them completely by hand and a cake that should have taken a couple of hours ended up taking a few days. But if you only wanted a few roses then there's no reason why not to do them completely by hand.


The centre is the same, however I then roll up a few small balls of fondant.


I usually use 5 petals on each rose..


I then usually flatten them out using my fingers, again try to use to corn flour so it doesn't get too sticky (as you can see the fondant has already stuck to my table)


Attach as I stated above 


And that's it!!!! I always use roses to decorate cakes because I love how good they look! 

Here are a few examples of cakes I have made that I achieved with these fondant roses 




These are simple fondant roses, however you can make more realistic looking ones like these using the same tool.



I will post a tutorial soon on how to achieve these realistic roses!

Enjoy, L 



No comments:

Post a Comment