Thursday 24 April 2014

Cake pops/bites tutorial

I've never been a fan of cake pops, however I was actually bought a cake pop machine a few Christmas' ago. I feel like they leave a synthetic taste in the mouth, similar to my mini donut maker (although I do love my mini donut maker..) so have never really thought to make any.

After thinking about different ways to make cake pops I realise this tutorial works perfectly if you have overbaked a few cupcakes, have excess sponge scraps sliced off a cake or have some spare cake that is starting to go stale... There is always some salvage in these things!


Smaller than a cupcake but a little bigger than one bite, these cake pops that aren't on sticks/cake bites/cake leftovers can make a cute homemade present for a friend in replacement of chocolates (unless you're my friends and they come and eat not only my chocolate but my left over cake too so I don't even know how I've managed to make these.)

You will need-

Cake scraps
Buttercream
Milk and white chocolate 
Caramel (optional)



Start by taking some scrap cake/spare cupcakes, and break them up slightly. I chose these ones because a) I didn't have enough cocoa powder and they aren't chocolate-y enough (yes they're supposed to be chocolate) and b) they were getting a little but dry... Eg. Perfect excuse to feed them to my parents/bin/make something tastier. 

Place them in a food processor until they separate into crumbs. Then add the buttercream (completely depends on you now much you want to add, I added enough so that you could taste both the cake and the buttercream... Too much it
would be sickly and too wet, too little and the mixture will be too dry.) (ps. I definitely whisked some Nutella and melted milk chocolate into the buttercream- absolute dream.)


You can see the consistency of the mixture, it starts to look heavy-looking... Obviously taste it for good measure and you'll realised it's an absolute treat

Anyway now you're bored of mixing cake and buttercream, prepare to be MORE BORED. Put the bowl in the fridge for a while just so the buttercream and cake stick together for a little while, take it out and start the soul destroying process of making balls of cake between your hands (I know.. Bizarre.) 

 
It takes longer than it looks... Really. If you have a child who enjoys playing with plasticine I suggest encouraging them to help you out. After some team bonding they are ready to go back into the freezer for 5 minutes (not the kids) (if you want) 

 
I then covered some of the cake balls in caramel...aaaaand back in the freezer

Once the caramel is relatively set/the other cake balls have a sturdier consistency and aren't going to fall apart, melt some chocolate and roll the cake pops around the bowl until they are covered. I then put them onto a plate covered in cling film (nothing worse than chocolate sticking to your plates, it drying then I (/my mum) having to scrape half melted chocolate and having mental break down not knowing where it goes ..sink..bin..mouth...)


Then I melted some white chocolate and drizzled it over the cake pops.... And you're done. It does take longer than if you were to use a cake pop maker, but they taste so much nicer and look almost like truffles with the consistency of both buttercream and cake. Plus they are so much cuter when they look home made :-) (also these technically aren't cake pops because they're not on a stick but who wants to eat cake as a lollipop in 2014. I'd rather just put as many as these in my mouth at once as I can with my hands.)



No comments:

Post a Comment