Tuesday 29 April 2014

Minion Wedding Tutorial (part 2, Groom)




This tutorial is for the groom minion to go with the bride tutorial I did earlier in the week. For some reason I found the groom a little harder to do in the early stages, but I enjoyed making the suit and top hat!! For a more detailed description of the initial stages of making a minion be it male or female, see bride tutorial (I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot)


Same with the bride, I baked two cakes in my 5 inch tin (lemon this time!) using the same quantity of ingredients as for the bride (see previous blog)
I stuck the sponge together with lemon curd and used lemon buttercream to crumb coat and ice the entire thing.


Once again I cut a small mouth shaped indentation into the body..


I covered the minion with yellow fondant and pressed in the mouth...as you can see it didn't go as smoothly as the brides... I was also worried I hadn't got the same colour..


But they seemed to match quite well in the end !


Next were the eyes, however I decide to make Charlotte's fiancé have two eyes instead of one (sorry Charlotte.) I used two circle cutters to cut out the grey lenses, white eyes, then used small balls of green, black and white for detailing.


Like with the bride, I detailed the green eyes with a knife...


..before putting it all together with some warm water.


It did take some trial and error before I realised the green parts of the eye should be closer together or it looked completely  bog-eyed, so I had to repeat the eye process again! 


Using a knife, I freehand cut out a mouth and rolled 4 balls of white fondant to make teeth...

 
And pressed it into the gap where the mouth should be. 


Then I added a lip by rolling a yellow piece of fondant into a sausage shape, some black eye straps which were two strips of black fondant and the shirt.
This is literally a rectangle of white fondant with two small triangles free hand cut and all stuck on with some warm water. 


I made a small silvery tie from fondant...


I also made a slight cut down the shirt and using a tooth pick added button detailing.


Next I coloured some fondant navy blue..


And added a jacket (I also added this pocket with a hanker chief, however I later took this off and put laples on the jacket before replacing the pocket. Small details like this will make your cake look even better!)


Oops, there we are


I added a tiny matching rose on the grooms button hole and secured it with some green buttercream. 


I used an edible jelly diamond for the ring 


I rolled up a ball of navy fondant, and stuck it on a flat circle of fondant to make the top hat, rolled brown pieces of fondant into long sausages for the hair, and more navy fondant bits for the legs.

I then added a plaque to finish it off with Charlotte and Ben's name and the date of their wedding... Super cute.



No comments:

Post a Comment